Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Getting Ready for California !!

I'm busy getting things ready for our trip to California . . . we'll be visiting my son and his family . . . and I will NOT have a sewing machine for almost 2 weeks . . . so I am taking my English Paper Piecing with me . . . I will be able to work on them on the flights . . . and they have a lovely back yard with comfy furniture on the patio . . . the perfect place to do hand sewing . . . when I'm not doing wonderful fun things with my granddaughters . . . !!

I have had these 2 quilts in the works for a long while . . . so decided these are the ones I'm taking with me . . . over the weekend I cut and basted over 600 pieces . . . so I wouldn't have to deal with that part . . . here are some of the pieces all bagged up . . . ready to go . . . doesn't look like 600 pieces . . . but it is !!


I'm planning to use 60 blocks in this quilt . . . I have 35 finished . . . only 25 to go . . . and then I will be sewing it together . . . I'm hoping to get it finished while I'm away . . . then off to the quilters when I get back . . . it will make a nice quilt to have out for Fall . . .


this is the layout with the brown star points . . . the blocks are just laid out on the brown fabric here . . . when I sew it together I will be putting the brown triangles in . . .



now here is the red and white quilt . . . same block but a different layout . . . no triangle star points in this one . . . the way it's put together it makes a secondary design of tumbling blocks . . . I have all the blocks made for this one . . . and have started to put it together . . . so I should be able to finish it while I'm away . . .


I'm not sure it will be the size I want it to be . . . if it isn't I'm planning to use this as a center medallion . . . I found a beautiful red fabric that has a white scallop design going through it . . . I can use this to border the center medallion . . . then I will do a row of star blocks as another border . . . and finish it off with a nice border print . . . we'll see how it goes . . .  


I can't wait to have these both finished . . . I really like them . . . and I have the quilter booked for the beginning of June !! . . . guess I have to finish them !! . . .

1 comment:

Lisa said...

These are both lovely quilts. I can't wait to see your progress once you return home.

Post a Comment